[BKARTS] Unbinding a sewn book

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to take apart a book that has been sewn
together and bound in a leatherbound hardcover. My company received a huge
leatherbound book(approx. 500-700pg. book)  that we need to take apart in
order to scan the pages of the book for documentation. The pages have been
sewn together. We were wondering if there is a way to do it easiest and
fastest without having to cut each string with scissors to get book apart.
we tried going to kinko's to get the book cut but the words would be cut
also which we do not want. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks,

cindy