Re: [BKARTS] odd things that one finds in a book

While restoring a Ramussio's Travels around Africa (16th century I
think I remember) for UCLA, during the washing stage I was amazed to
see, while a folio was in a water bath, a hand print spanning the
spine fold and both sides.  It appeared in the water, I think,
because of oil on the pressman's hands while he was placing and
removing the paper from the press platen.  It was very clear and
vivid and was in the correct position on the sheet for the above
mentioned reason.  Of course it vanished when the sheet was dry.  I
photographed it in the bath as part of the photo-documentation.

Bruce Levy
--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles