Re: [BKARTS] odd things that one finds in a book

When I was deacidifying text from a 1572 French medical book bound in limp vellum in Basil, Switzerland, I noticed that the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, a male and female figure with crowns above the heads, developed small areas of white as they came in contact with the deacidifying solution. The female figure had an hourglass shape from just above the breasts to just below the hips; the male figure had an inverted triangle over the groin.  Apparently I was seeing residue from paste that had been used to hold small "modesty panels" in place. Once the text was dry, the white areas disappeared.

Susan Lightcap