Re: [BKARTS] odd things that one finds in a book

So there I was....

The rare book librarian of an upstate New York college called me
in to lift the pastedowns of a vellum-bound book because he
thought that an early Papal Bull had been used as the pastedown.

He was right.

After lifting the pastedowns and giving the book over to the librarian
and a medieval scholar I set about sorting out the limp vellum before
it curled up into a ball from the moisture used to lift the pastedowns.

That is when I noticed the writing inside the vellum.

When I asked them if they were interested in the 'new' document
they spun around as though they were spring loaded.

Turned out to be part of an Old French document, recycled.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217