Re: [BKARTS] Rubber Cement Stains

Dave, et. al.

In the first place, any modern ink which responds to any non-aqueous
solvent will be partially dissolved and wicked into the paper upon
which it was written.

The general effect, when it works well, will be that the ink appears
lighter on the paper, and the message may become difficult to read, if
it can be read at all.  With enough solvent the ink can be diffused to
the extent that it appears to disappear.

However, the solvents mentioned by Ed should not be used by anyone who
has not read and throughly understands the pathology of solvents in
relation to the human nervous system.

And learn to spell them correctly.  nn-dimethylformimide does not exist,
so far as I know.  Look for dimethylformamide.

There are upwards of 50 toxicological volumes in my reference collection
but I don't expect any of you to acquire all of them.

However, if you do use (or plan to use) any solvents in your work, please
purchase (or find them in a library) at least these three books:

_Handbook of Poisoning_ by Robert H. Dreisbach (or current edition of this
publication by Lange Medical Publications); _Artist Beware_ by Michael McCann,
and _Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials_ by N. Irving Sax.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217