Re: [BKARTS] Rubber Cement Stains

Jack, Ed et al,
Thanks for the warnings. I have decided that I really don't want to
tackle this one since the book is only one generation old and the
only things not replacable will be some signatures from a
"swearing-in" ceremony of Masons that took place in the 60's. Non of
the family events recorded are in any but the owner's hand in any
case so he can simply copy them into a new Masonic Bible. If he
wants, I will offer to tip in the two pages of masons' signatures
into a new Bible for him unless he needs the ceremony that probably
went into the original signing. If that's the case he's out of luck.

Dave

At 11:44 PM 22/01/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Dave, et. al.
>
>In the first place, any modern ink which responds to any non-aqueous
>solvent will be partially dissolved and wicked into the paper upon
>which it was written.
>
>The general effect, when it works well, will be that the ink appears
>lighter on the paper, and the message may become difficult to read, if
>it can be read at all.  With enough solvent the ink can be diffused to
>the extent that it appears to disappear.
>
>However, the solvents mentioned by Ed should not be used by anyone who
>has not read and throughly understands the pathology of solvents in
>relation to the human nervous system.
>
>And learn to spell them correctly.  nn-dimethylformimide does not exist,
>so far as I know.  Look for dimethylformamide.
>
>There are upwards of 50 toxicological volumes in my reference collection
>but I don't expect any of you to acquire all of them.
>
>However, if you do use (or plan to use) any solvents in your work, please
>purchase (or find them in a library) at least these three books:
>
>_Handbook of Poisoning_ by Robert H. Dreisbach (or current edition of this
>publication by Lange Medical Publications); _Artist Beware_ by Michael McCann,
>and _Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials_ by N. Irving Sax.
>
>Jack
>
>Thompson Conservation Lab.
>7549 N. Fenwick
>Portland, Oregon  97217
>USA
>
>503/735-3942  (ph/fax)
>
>http://home.teleport.com/~tcl
>
>"The lyfe so short; the craft so long to lerne."
>Chaucer  _Parlement of Foules_ 1386

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia