[BKARTS] wire loop in bidnding (was: odd things that one finds in a book)

That might be what it was used for, but I've never encountered a bookmark
tape secured like this.  Usually they are just glued in onto the spine and
that is all.

I have posted pictures of the binding and wire loop.  You can view them at:
<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom/wireloop/wireloop.html>

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Unless there is some great historical
importance to this wire, it will be removed when we finish the repair.  I
just wanted to ask before I tore it out.

Eric

on 1/22/03 12:59 PM, Carl Sundell at c-sundell@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would guess that the loop was to hold the end of a bookmark tape that came
> out of the top of the spine.

 Eric Alstrom      Collections Conservator
 Dartmouth College      Hanover, NH
 603-646-1452      eric.c.alstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/