Re: [BKARTS] wire loop in bidnding (was: odd things that one finds in a book)

Eric,
think medieval. Perhaps the previous owner had the book chained to a desk
using that loop. My thought. I realize it's a silly one, but...

It is a great find. Thank you for sharing.

p.

That might be what it was used for, but I've never encountered a bookmark
tape secured like this.  Usually they are just glued in onto the spine and
that is all.

I have posted pictures of the binding and wire loop.  You can view them at:
<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom/wireloop/wireloop.html>

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Unless there is some great historical
importance to this wire, it will be removed when we finish the repair.  I
just wanted to ask before I tore it out.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>