Re: [BKARTS] odd things that one finds in a book

While not directly faulting Ms. Lightcap, I am curious if the procedure
of deacidifying text (paper) as old as 1572 is a common practice amongst
bookbinders/restorers.  The first and most obvious question would be to
ask, why was it felt that paper that old needed to be buffered against
acidic development/degradation, when it presumably has 'lived' just fine
for over 400 years.  There has been quite a lot of research about acids
in paper, and different rates of oxidation of different types of
furnish.  Linen, the common paper fiber used in Europe in the 16th
century, ages quite well.  Also, gelatine used as a size at that time
has also been observed to aid in paper permanence.  There is some reason
to believe that in washing papers of this age, we may be washing out
some of the gelatin, leaving the paper more open to future attack.

Generally, the process of deacidification (or alkalization) is used to
slow down the rate of oxidation in the future. One cannot reverse time
with this process.  Deacidification is generally reserved for papers of
the 19th and 20th centuries, which for various reasons contain many
constituents that lead to brittleness and oxidation.

Doug Sanders

=