[BKARTS] File format for colour photocopy

Hi,
Could anyone please help with this problem:  I'm new to artists' books, and
am experimenting with a variety of techniques.  It's proving to be very time
consuming, and I'd like to scan the finished pages into the computer and save
to disc for reproducing on a colour photocopier.  The local printers
suggested scanning images at 400 dpi but there is some disagreement over the
type of file - JPEG, bitmap, or is there a better format?   Also, is 400 dpi
a high enough resolution for a photocopier?
I've searched the archives, but can't find anything on this subject, though
it's probably been discussed before,
Thanks,
Jen
South Australia