[BKARTS] Things--Treatment Reports

In a message dated 1/23/03 15:58, livres@xxxxxxxx writes:
<< I have the habit of pasting a slip of paper into the hollow of the spine,
which can be removed easily with a tweezer and lists all work done to that
copy with date. >>

Treatment Reports inserted at the back of books (tipped-in, before the last
flyleaf and easily seen) are beneficial and important.
Carolyn Horton (Mother of American Book Preservation/Conservation) tipped-in
reports of her work on books. Another, and my best encounter, was during a
visit to the Lilly Library where we I a book with a Treatment Report by Roger
Powell. It was a wonderful experience to read, and examine the various
points.
Normally, these Reports might be filed away (somewhere?) and may never be
seen again. In my opinion, that are a valuable part of the history of the
book. If, unfortunately, an unscrupulous owner/seller, decides to remove my
report from a book that I have worked on, what can I say? At least I have
tried to make the information available for the future.

While I am on this subject, I would like to add that on books that do not
warrant a full Treatment Report, we attach a small (1/4" x 1/2") label on the
back pastedown at the lower-inside-corner. This little label simply has my
business logo with the year and, if needed, the word "Deacidified". Again, I
feel that this information about when some treatment was done will be helpful
to someone in the future.

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA
814-793-4020