Re: [BKARTS] Deacidification, etc.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with what I'm trying to get at.
I have been a paper conservator in one form or another for 10 years now,
so I well understand issues of deacidification and so forth for
non-bound, paper-based objects. (I also know that you and Jack have many
more years of empirical knowledge than myself- I've often read Jack's
publications and appreciate his 'go out and learn it approach'). I use
deacidification as a treatment often in my work.  What I was getting at
was, specifically and on a more experienced level of discussion, the
necessity of dismantling a book from that late 16th century and
deacidifying its pages when generally paper of that era does not need
it.

Regarding resizing, again it is something with which I am intimately
familiar.  It is one thing to resize, but another thing entirely to go
ahead and wash out original sizing to some extent, with the thought in
the back of one's head that that is 'allright, because I can always go
back and resize.'  If this was the case, one could clean a watercolor,
solubilize a certain pigment, then go back and paint it in again.

The examples you give as qualifying for deacidification I agree with
completely- they are generally the categories I would choose as well.

-Doug