Re: [BKARTS] Wooden Book Boards / spine lining textiles

In a message dated 1/24/2003 3:57:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CraftBook@xxxxxxx writes:

> Nancy,
>
> You described a Bradel binding.
>
> Ed

Ed, perhaps I should have mentioned that my step-by-step description is one
version of a Bradel binding and referenced your posting.  However, you did
say "Bradel type" binding, so I thought I would be specific about what I had
observed and what I would recommend, based on my experience.

Some Bradels are made with split boards and some are made to be temporary; I
did not wish to generalize since I was not referring to them.

I find structural elements of Bradel bindings very applicable in the
conservation of many styles of bindings because of their flexibility and
their sound board attachments.  I usually use airplane linen as the spine
lining/hinge component.  Other textile materials can be used and can be made
stronger when cut on the bias (diagonally).

I generally test linens and cottons I'm thinking of using as a spine lining
material with a pH pen to see if it is alkaline, with the thinking that it
will last longer if there are no acids to break down the cellulose fibers.  I
would be interested to hear if others have explored the issue of textile
lining materials and their pH.

Whenever I hear the  word "Bradel" I think of the wonderful workshop the
wonderful Hugo Peller offered on the subject (with a "pop-up box") in New
Haven in 1990, and I was delighted to be able to attend.

Nancy H. Nitzberg
B o o k - C a r e