[BKARTS] pressing kozo paper

Hello all.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried pressing Japanese-style paper, formed in the Nagashizuki manner, with a VERY slow western-style press.

We are trying to make roughly Eastern-style papers, with middle and high school students, and have been using slow pressings with water-filled garbage cans. The kozo sheets are interleaved with Pelon, allowed to weep overnight, and pressed over a few hours the next day.

Our art teacher wonders if we couldn't use a 2-ton car jack press, with very gradually increasing pressure, to approximate the slow water press. We are led to this question by a concern for the balance between tradition and realities such as the need for water conservation.

Thanks

Julie Jones
James Agee Memorial Library
Sewanee, TN