Re: [BKARTS] Glue Help

Any water based adhesive will cause absorbent materials (paper, leather,
cloth, board, ...) to "curl." As binders... we need to understand that, and
learn how to control it through balanced linings and counter linings. No
way around it, and even in a prefect world, changes in environment can
cause materials to warp through expansion (humid) and contraction (dry),
and they'll do it at different rates. We also need to be patient and let
things dry under restraint.

That said, there are some acrylic based adhesive films (Gudy is one brand)
that can be used. Stay away from rubber cement, spray mount, contact
adhesive...

Peter

I've made some hard back books and found that PVA really isn't
satisfactory as it tends to warp the pages. I was wondering if anybody
could suggest something better that I might use in its place, it would
also be very useful if it was available in the UK.

Many thanks

Verian

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator