Re: [BKARTS] Glue Help

In a message dated 1/27/03 :
<< I've made some hard back books and found that PVA really isn't
>satisfactory as it tends to warp the pages. I was wondering if anybody
>could suggest something better that I might use in its place, it would
>also be very useful if it was available in the UK.

It seems that many of the replies are looking at various ways of preventing
moisture from getting into the textpaper. While I agree on the need for
something like this, I feel there is something else to consider.
As a matter of fact, I use chipboard (about .020" thick -- and, yes, it is
acidic, but the sheet is only there overnight). My Mentor, Bill Anthony,
called this barrier a FENCE -- it not only absorbs the moisture, but also
absorbs the impression from the turn-ins so that there are not marks in the
flysheet.
However, it seems that Verian was asking about a different adhesive. Please
realize that a different adhesive MAY NOT solve the problem. In fact, a Fence
may not be the solution either.
I wonder if the "warping" is caused by the grain of the paper being wrong? If
the grain is running perpendicular to the spine, one will get all sorts of
problems -- cockling being one. Obviously, we have seen many books that are
cased-in without a "Fence" or other barrier by commercial binders, and they
use various types of adhesive.

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA