Re: [BKARTS] Skinny gatherings.

Dorothy,

Perhaps the answer to your question is bibliographic rather than one of
binding trends.  I'm currently working on a law book (England and Wales, Law.
 London, 1660-62).  It also consists of many skinny gatherings comprising a
large volume.  Although it has a title page and looks like a monograph, the
individual gatherings, with few exceptions, have different dates and
represent individual Acts of Parliament.  In short, I am suggesting the
reason for the thin gatherings is that they were printed throughout the three
year period of publication as individual items, and the entire run collected
(by some) for binding with the title page (later?) supplied by the printer.

In the event that the subject matter of the volume you have before is
similar, I'll mention that the one I have here was sewn on five raised cords,
3-on.  A detailed index in manuscript precedes the printed text.

Nancy H. Nitzberg
B o o k - C a r e