Re: [BKARTS] Skinny gatherings

Not knowing what the book is, I can only guess that the printer didn't want
to cast off his copy, i.e. estimate the page breaks before setting, which
is necessary with folios unless you have a *lot* of type and don't mind
having several tied-up pages accumulating around you before you can impose
and print the middle sheet of your 4-, 6-, 8-, etc.-leaf quire. By printing
a folio in 2s you can set the book seriatim, one page after another,
imposing pp. 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc. as you go. This might also be done for
books printed piecemeal as copy arrives. No fun for the binder, of course.

It seems to have been an English trick, especially prevalent in the 18th
century; continental printers seem hardly ever to have done it. (These are
vague impressions from the books I've seen, and I would welcome correction.)