Re: [BKARTS] Skinny Sigs -#2

In a message dated 1/29/03 2:12:12 PM, africa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< When and why did the practice of printing skinny gatherings arise?
That is to say, printing thick books in gatherings of bifolia (or what ever
you want to call them-4 leaves, 8 pages).  >>

****************
I have already responded with my theory, but I have a question that follows
the same line:
Obviously, most (some?) books are printed on a larger sheet that is folded,
once, twice, three times, etc. -- Folio, Quarto, Octavo, etc. My question
relates to a book that has ONLY three sheets (12 pages) in a signature. Why
would the printer have the bookbinder insert (or remove) one of the sheets
from the imposed layout? The book in question is 1840, Philadelphia.
Thanks,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695