[BKARTS] Thin gatherings

Dorothy Africa's question brought forth quite a number of interesting

All related to what might have happened in one printing house.

In fact, it was not uncommon for a book which the publisher thought
might have a good sale to sort the printing out to more than one
printing house.

One can easily imagine a publisher running around from one shop
to another asking if they had a certain font of type, and if they
had the font (in the correct range of size) contract to print a
portion of the text on the paper provided in the page size required
to match the other print shops.

And if the font was close, well....

The binders, as usual, would be sucking hind tit.

Jack

>Dear book folk
>    A question for those of you more knowing in the area of printing
>history than I:   When and why did the practice of printing skinny
>gatherings arise?
(snip)
>   Dorothy Africa

Thompson Conservation Lab.