[BKARTS] Fox workshops in Rocky Mtn region

The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers
and the
Book Arts Program at the J. Willard Marriott Library
present
A Big Weekend with Small Books
Instructor: Gabrielle Fox
Binding miniature books is an intriguing challenge as traditional
materials
must be adapted to create pleasing books which open and shut
comfortably.
This two-day workshop will explore and answer your questions about
binding books that measure three inches and smaller. We will sew one
text
block with a rounded spine and cover it with a traditional case modified
work well on a miniature. Our second structure is non-adhesive, with
endless
variations, which we will cover in leather, although nearly any cover
material
can be used.
Gabrielle Fox is a bookbinder and conservator. Her work is in many
private and public collections. She is the
author of The Essential Guide to Making Handmade Books and recently
received an Everett Helm Visiting
Fellowship from the Lilly Library at Indiana University. She has been
teaching bookbinding for nearly twenty
years in both England and the US, most recently at Penland School of
Crafts.
Workshop Fee: $150 (GBW members); $165 (non-members)
Materials Fee: $40
In Salt Lake City:
DATES: March 28-29, 2003, 9am - 5pm
PLACE: Book Arts Studio, 5th Floor, J. Willard Marriott Library,
Univeristy
of Utah
For more information or to register, contact
Marnie Powers-Torrey, 801-585-9191
marnie.torrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In Denver:
DATES: April 12-13, 2003, 9am - 5pm
PLACE: TBA
For more information or to register, contct
Alicia Bailey, 303-340-2110
ravenpress@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
NOTE: Space in both workshops is limited.
A 50% deposit is required to hold your space.
Please make checks out to the Guild of Book Workers, and mail them to
Alicia Bailey, P.O. Box 27, Lake
City, CO 81235-0027. Please indicate which workshop weekend you are
registering for. A materials list will
be mailed out several weeks prior to the workshop.