Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 16 Jan 2003 to 17 Jan 2003 (#2003-18)

Imagine my surprise on leaving the Hobby Industry Association show in Anaheim
to go to the John Wayne Airport and see a fabulous artist book show curated
by Betty Beck (forgive me if I have her name wrong, I cannot find the tiny
piece of paper on which I wrote names of the fabulous book artists). It is in
cases near where one boards the airplane. I think this means that you have to
have a ticket and have gone through security. Many folks were busy on their
cell phones and never noticed it.

There was work in a variety on media. One series by the same woman examined
the definition of a book. There was letterpress by Yoko Ono, among others.
There were many different photography books--altered, manipulated,  etc. Only
one calligraphy work.

There were altered books which contrasted mightily with the altered book kits
I had seen in some of the scrapbooking displays at the HIA show.

It is probably worth buying a plane ticket to see the show (my humble
opinion).

Alice
Paper Pleasures
270 Columbine Street