Re: [BKARTS] Skinny Signatures/Gatherings

In a message dated 1/30/03 17:59, CraftBook@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Paper from that period is strong and would easily accommodate hand
oversewing.
Wouldn't that have been better than make two volumes into four.
At least hand oversewing would have allowed you the option of
restoring the original. >>

*****************

Yes, paper from a Johnson's Dictionary from 1755 should have been good, but
in that case the spine area/gutter margin had been destroyed by a fire --
actually a steam disaster. 3/8" of the gutter margin was literally baked and
aged extensively. So much so, that every leaf had to be trimmed to obtain any
possible strength.
Sewing thru the fold may not have been the best option, but, hey, I was young
and wanted to give it, what I thought at the time, was the best treatment (I
did not like, and still avoid oversewing).
All the leaves were washed and deacidified, guarded, and resewn thru the
fold. The result was a book that could have been returned to the original
(baked) covers, but, in my opinion, the book was already to large - thick and
heavy - for easy handling. The curator agreed with breaking the two volume
set into four.
The project was an interesting challenge, and, maybe today, I would have done
it differently.
The real interesting outcome was that I developed a system that allowed for
efficient washing and deacidification. I also developed a little device that
allowed me to efficiently water-tear the 600 pieces of Japanese paper that
were needed for the guards. I am still pleased with the result.

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA