Re: [BKARTS] Skinny Sigs -#2

Which takes us back to Dorothy's quandry. What I have done in the past with
materials that require heavy guarding is reconstruct the signatures. Of
course this changes the bibliographic nature of the book, and should be
properly recorded. It is not something I do lightly, but if after washing I
end up with a collection of loose sheets I will consider rebuilding the
signatures in a more "binder friendly" fashion, especially in cases like
those we've discussed. This may mean taking two double folio sections and
guarding them together into one. If you've got single folio signatures, you
could have one at the center and then guard the one before and after
together around it...

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator