[BKARTS] Removing Endpapers

Greeting,
I need to remove the text block from a soft leather covered journal were the
endpapers are "glued" directly to the leather cover. I have done a search on
removal of endpapers but the only hits I get is for the removal of bookplates.
I had considered steaming the endpapers but can not convince myself that this
would do no harm. Anyway how can the endpapers be removed from the leather
cover with little or no damage to either the cover or the endpapers/textblock
(if it matters in the removal technique used, the endpapers in this case appear
to be the end sheets of the text block).
Thanks,
rj