[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[BKARTS] terminology

What is the correct term to describe the condition whereby edges of
pages- in this case from atlases and encyclopedias of 18th and 19th
centuries- are painted with a red pigment?  If it was gold, I'd call it
'edge gilding' , but in these cases it appears to be vermillion, or some
other sort of red-colored media. It doesn't seem to just be a bole that
serves as a precursor to gilding.



Doug Sanders


            BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
      For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
            resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

        Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]