[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [BKARTS] terminology

You'll find plenty at
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/search-don?colored+edge>. I would
simply say "colored edge."


What is the correct term to describe the condition whereby edges of
pages- in this case from atlases and encyclopedias of 18th and 19th
centuries- are painted with a red pigment?  If it was gold, I'd call it
'edge gilding' , but in these cases it appears to be vermillion, or some
other sort of red-colored media. It doesn't seem to just be a bole that
serves as a precursor to gilding.


Doug Sanders


Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
The Book Arts Web & Book_Arts-L Listserv

           BOOK_ARTS-L: The listserv for all the book arts.
     For subscription information, the Archive, and other related
           resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:

       Archive maintained and suppported by Conservation OnLine

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]