Re: [BKARTS] Russian Constructivist Book @ MoMA

    Phillip Zimmerman,
    Thank you for the explanatory info regarding the digital display at
    the  show. I was transfixed by it and thought it was the main reason
    the exhibit worked so well.
    SRotolo

The best digital simulation of the experience of being in front
of a conventional paper codex book that I have ever seen was at
last year's MoMA show of The Russian Constructivist Book. The
kiosks that were so cleverly designed by the NYC design
collective C404 can be seen (sort of) at
http://www.c404.com/root/index.html

The actual experience was eye-opening. No fades or peels, this was the
closest thing to actually turning pages that I have ever experienced. It
seemed to open up the possibility of creating digital books that acted like
paper books (if that is the type of transition to digital that one is
looking for or cares to make).

If nothing else, it seems to open up all kinds of solutions to the perennial
problem of showing books in a gallery or museum space, without having the
books be handled by the public. As everyone knows, since books are a time
based media, just showing them as static spreads on a wall or opened flat in
a vitrine or other glass case is a very impoverished experience of the book
work.

Phil