Re: [BKARTS] Hemp Cord

As always, it all depends....

If a flitch of flax (couldn't help m'self), were to be tested alongside
a hank-O-hemp, all retted the same, then the hemp would likely come out
ahead of the game.

Look to Naval Stores.  When compared in equal tests, at sea, rope made
from hemp did better that rope made from flax/linen.

However, linen or hemp, sewing supports are not much exposed to storms at
sea (with any luck) so that doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, if your hemp cord came from Chinese enzyme retted fiber,
it will not be as strong as, for instance, Russian grass retted fiber.

But, Russian grass retted fiber is not as good as, for instance, Belgian,
Italian, or Irish retted flax fiber.

Of course, the Irish don't ret their fiber anymore.  They buy from the
Belgians and Italians, when they don't buy from the Russians, or Chinese
(or any number of the new Central European countries.)

"What was your question?  You in the back..."

Ah, yes.  Well, that is why I grow, ret, hackle, scutch, and spin my own
thread and cord from flax when it is important enough.  They would put me
in jail if I grew hemp.

Cheers,

Jack

>Does anyone on this list know how hemp cord compares to linen cord to
>sew on? I've been given a sample of hemp cord. It seems very strong,
>frays out very nicely, and claims to be 100% natural. I have no idea
>though about its long term use. Any input would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Frank Lehmann
>Lehmann Bindery

Thompson Conservation Lab.