Re: [BKARTS] Hemp Cord

At 09:12 AM 3/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
It's my understanding that hemp fibers deteriorate over time whereas flax
fibers do not.  I've read that people who make hooked rugs should not use a
hemp/burlap fabric as a rug base for that reason.

I have to chime in here: there's no connection between hemp and burlap. Burlap is made from jute, and does deteriorate fairly quickly (you can plant things still wrapped in burlap and it will just rot away).

Hemp is a completely different plant and fiber, cannabis sativa.
It is resistant to mildew, sun-rot, etc. Sailing ship sails were
made from hemp, which was considered superior to canvas made
from linen and certainly cotton. Supposedly, the original distributed
copies of the Declaration of Independence were printed on hemp
paper (there's irony for you).

I know many of the organizations in this country currently touting
the benefits of hemp have a drug agenda, but it really is a wonderful
fiber.

Susan Fatemi
susanf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx