Re: [BKARTS] Hemp

-----Original Message-----
>From: [...] Susan Fatemi
>I know Asian papermakers use kozo/mulberry fiber directly,
>do they use hemp (asa in Japanese) the same way?
This would not likely have produced very good paper. Kozo and gampi have
very long, soft fibres which are easily prepared by hand beating. True Hemp,
like flax, can only produce well-bonded, smooth paper when beaten with a
Hollander beater (and a sturdy one, at that).

>The "Manila Hemp" (Musa textilis) Doug refers to is
>more commonly known (at least in the textile world)
>as "abaca" or banana fiber (basho in Japanese).
I was sort of under the impression that "hemp rope" was made from manila
hemp. The "hemp" rope I've seen up close certainly looked more like the raw
Abaca fibre we sell than the raw hemp fibre we sell.

>Has anyone on the list actually made paper using just hemp?
Yes. We have a stock of Ontario-grown hemp (from the colour it looks like it
was dew-retted) from which we have made a batch of paper. We also have some
imported (from Spain, I believe) hemp half-stuff intended for papermaking.