Re: [BKARTS] Tiered pricing - opinions

Everything Richard said about pricing makes sense to me.  I just wish I was
of his caliber and could command the prices he mentions!  I do have one
question however about gallery commissions.

I don't do a lot of exhibition or sales at galleries.  One local place I'll
show my books charges between 25%-40% commission (some of the sales are
fundraisers for this local non-profit gallery -- so I'm not complaining
about their rates in this message).

I try to keep my books reasonably priced, especially the blank journals (the
ones that sell the best, of course).  If I didn't raise my prices at least a
small amount, then I would hardly make anything beyond cost of materials.  I
know I could put a higher price on my books to start with, but with
something like blank books, they won't sell if priced to high.

So, does anyone change the price of their works when selling at a gallery to
take into account the commission?  I've wondered about the ethics of doing
this, but for the above reasons I've gone ahead and done it.  Any comments?

Eric

on 4/2/03 2:02 AM, Richard Minsky at minsky@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I also work with dealers, galleries and institutions that exhibit the Works
> and who get commissions on sales.A client pays the same price whether it is
> direct fom my studio or through a dealer. The commission rate varies
> depending on whether the dealer holds a Work on consignment, orders from my
> catalog, or mounts an exhibition with announcements and publicity.

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator
 bookbinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 http://bookworks.tripod.com