Re: [BKARTS] Printers revisited

What I want is a color printer
with reasonably archival ink
that will reproduce scans faithfully on good quality paper
--not photo paper --

I would say "reproduc[ing] scans faithfully" will be a tougher bill to fill than getting a hold of a printer. I think most of the inkjet printers talked about here will print to 11 x 17. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1200. I run Rives BFK through it from time to time, no problem; sheet size well beyond 11 x 17, if I want. However, I'm not sure that it's possible to use archival inks with this particular model. That's okay, like you said, Epson and other companies have gobs of newer models.

In any case, just keep in mind a lot of the quality you get out of a
printer has to do with the original scan or digital photo that went in.
Most of my dissatisfaction with prints I get out of my printer have more
to do with the original source than with the capabilities of the
printer. I have a UMAX Astra 1220S desktop scanner, by the way. It's
good in a pinch, but I think reproducing photos or scans of orginal
artwork for printing could be quite a (color) task.

The other thing, of course, is the paper. A "good quality paper" might
still soak up the ink in such a way that it produces an unsharp result.

The best results I've had was while using a paper called ArtColor Duo.
It's considered a photo-paper for color inkjets, bright white, matte,
coated on both sides. I've printed scanned photos (from my UMAX) onto
this paper a few times with fairly good results.

What about mounting photo repoductions on the book pages?

cheers,
Cal Smith