[BKARTS] Ken Botnick at the Jaffe Book Arts Collection

Book Arts Enthusiasts in the South Florida area:

Join us Tuesday, April 15 at 6pm for the next program in our Wimberly
Library Book Arts Lecture Series. We'll be welcoming Ken Botnick for a
lecture entitled "Text & Texture: Design & Reading." We know it's Tax Day,
but trust us: this will be much more interesting than a 1040 Form, so plan
accordingly.

Together with Steve Miller, Ken was proprietor of Red Ozier Press, one of
the great American fine presses. Red Ozier achieved national prominence not
only for exquisite book design and production, but also for the importance
of the texts that were chosen: previously unpublished works by authors like
William Faulkner, Allen Ginsberg and Isaac Bashevis Singer, as well as by
young unpublished writers and artists. Ken later served as director of the
Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina for several years.

Ken is now teaching Typography and Graphic Design History at Washington
University in Saint Louis, where he also directs the Kranzberg Illustrated
Book Studio. He continues to print limited editions under the imprint
'Emdash'. We encourage you to pay a visit to the Emdash website for a
glimpse of Ken's design sensibility:

http://www.em-dash.org

The lecture, which is free and open to the public, will be held on Tuesday,
April 15, 2003, at 6pm in the Board of Trustees Room, Williams
Administration Building. Williams is the building directly east of the
Wimberly Library, past the breezeway and the greenspace. It's located at
the western end of NW 20th Street (FAU's original entrance), and has a
circular drive and flagpoles at its eastern front. Parking Lots 1 and 2,
located along Florida Atlantic Boulevard, directly northeast and southeast
of Williams, will be cited as "No Ticket" zones by the FAU Police for the
evening.

My personal testimonial: Ken is an all-around good guy and an excellent
craftsman with a sharp eye for design. If you can join us, please do. I
think you'll be glad you did.

John,
for all of us at the Jaffe Book Arts Collection

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
Boca Raton, Florida