[BKARTS] Ed Hutchins in Cincinnati

Attention all Book Arts Enthusiasts
(especially CBAS members):

It is with great pleasure that the Cincinnati Book Arts Society brings book
artist Ed Hutchins to Cincinnati during the first week of May.

He will be offering several workshops (see list below) on Saturday May 3 and
Sunday May 4 at Poeme of Hyde Park, 3446 Michigan Avenue, in Cincinnati. We
have endeavored to keep the costs of these workshops as low as possible so
we can pass the value along to you.

Workshop space is limited, so please register early. For the next 7 days
CBAS members will have priority registration for these workshops so please
act now!!

To register, please call Celene Hawkins at 513-891-7509.

Also note that Ed will be giving a lecture at the main library in
Cincinnati, at 800
Vine Street, on May 4th at 2 p.m. Exact location will be announced soon, so
please plan to attend.  (Please scroll down for more details.)

You can see Ed Hutchins¹ work now on display at the Art and Music Department
at the downtown public library, 800 Vine Street. For more about Ed and his
work, please visit his web site: http://www.artistsbooks.com

Workshops

Saturday, May 3

Basic Single Sheet Structures
1:30-4:30 p.m., Workshop at Poeme, $35/person
A single sheet of paper can be cut and folded into many different book
structures, including multi-page, flexagon, French door, triangle,
petal, and carousel books. We¹ll start simple and work our way up to
more complex models. In the process we will explore what text and
images will best serve each structure. You will go back to your studio
with at least eight different books and many ideas for what to do with
them. Time will run out before we exhaust all the possibilities of one
single sheet of paper.

Introducing Tunnel Books
5-8 p.m., Workshop at Poeme, $35/person
Tunnel books have cutout panels which expand to create
three-dimensional scenes. No other book structure is quicker to draw
the viewer/reader into the very heart of the contents. Using simple
skills we will create at least one, and time permitting, two books with
multiple panels and unfolding side hinges. We will explore how to
create the tunnel view, how to incorporate text, and how combine all
the parts to entice and educate the viewer. Come and learn to make your
own expanding structures that turn into magical dioramas.

Sunday, May 4
Breathing Life into Books: Tricks for Developing Content
9-12 a.m., Workshop at Poeme, $35/person
Who hasn¹t had reservations about writing or drawing? In this relaxed,
gentle class we are going to poke around and see if we can uncover some
unknown and unexplored hidden talents. We will try some new techniques,
share experiences, loosen some inhibitions, gain confidence and learn
ways to share our ideas with others. The goal is to develop content for
books that enlighten, entertain, and engage the reader by using both
text and images. No miracles are expected or required. But you never
know what you are capable of producing until you try, and this is the
perfect opportunity to take the first step in learning to express
yourself more creatively.

2 p.m., Slide Presentation
Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Free & Open to the Public
The Unfolding Nature of Books
How does a professional drifter from Arizona end up as a book artist
and proprietor of Editions, a studio for producing artist books? Come
and learn how the book arts have unfolded in one artist¹s life; how an
editioned artist book unfolds from idea, through production, to final
product; and finally, how folding and unfolding can be used to deliver
the message in a book format. You will have the opportunity to ask
questions, see a single sheet of paper transform before your eyes into
a 56-page book with a pop-up, foldout panels, and a box to hold all the
connected parts. After the presentation you are welcome to examine and
manipulate some of the books discussed.

To learn more about the Cincinnati Book Arts Society and membership in our
organization, please visit our web site: http://www.cincinnatibookarts.org