Re: [BKARTS] copyright

Audrey,
It isn't just a courtesy to ask permission of the author -- printing
something that was written by someone other than yourself, and which is
presumably under copyright (i.e. not in the public domain because of the
date or because it was work-for-hire to the federal government), is almost
certainly a violation of copyright laws. Making a photocopy of something for
your own research use because you are unable to buy a copy, e.g. when a book
is out of print, is allowed by libraries under various fair use
interpretations. But reprinting the text (with or without adding
illustrations) is quite another matter. The question is not sales, it's the
artist's moral rights in the work. The author might not like your
interpretation and way of presenting his/her work. It isn't your decision to
make, ethically or legally. If you can find the author and get permission,
great. If not, you can appreciate his or her words in their original
setting, make illustrations and note that they were inspired by the author's
words by including a bibliographic citation -- not by reprinting the story.
Carol Pulin, director, American Print Alliance
non-profit consortium of printmaker's councils
302 Larkspur Turn, Peachtree City, GA 30269
www.PrintAlliance.org, director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx