Re: [BKARTS] Writers and artists

Forgive me for signing in strongly on this, but it is never never appropriate to use any
other artist's work without obtaining permission. That's what copyright is for, even for an
edition of one.  The author will no doubt be pleased, as you say, but more than that, the
author's work should be respected as an entity of its own. I am a poet and an artist and
a publisher. Recently I learned, through one of my authors, that many of our poems had
been published on somebody's web site. My author was indignant and we both worked
to have the poems removed. Think about it:  what does an artist have but his/her art?
Andeven if the author is dead, you owe it to his/her estate to contact the publisher and
obtain permission. That's how the contracts were drawn.
Nope. Never appropriate. Never legal.
BErtha Rogers