From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Bertha Rogers
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 6:30 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: fair use ... another view ...

It doesn't matter about the powerful corporate lawyers. What matters is
that you'd be
using the art that another person created without getting permission and
without paying
for that right. We can talk around the subject all day, but it's really
pretty simple. If
people grasped the simplicity and did the right thing there'd be no need
for those

On 19 Apr 2003 at 22:21, LAURIE MULLIKIN wrote:

> There are widely differing views on this subject and I resisted
jumping in because I know this will offend some here ...

> I say use good judgment and "best effort" to get clearances ...
remembering the original intent of copyright law and the fact that it's
a lot easier to ask forgiveness than permission. With that guideline, I
can't imagine book artists here getting in real trouble on copyright
violations.

> Part of the growing difficulty and confusion on "fair use" is due to
powerful corporate lawyers and lobbyists who are litigating and revising
copyright law for corporate commercial interests ... stifling the free
exchange of ideas while providing little or no protection to original
individual
artists.

> From: http://www.illegal-art.org./   (a parody of licensing agreements
and challenge to corporate "asset protection") ... "The laws governing
"intellectual property" have grown so expansive in recent years that
artists need legal experts to sort them all out. Borrowing from another
artwork--as
jazz musicians did in the 1930s and Looney Tunes illustrators did in
1940s--will now land you in court. If the current copyright laws had
been in effect back in the day, whole genres such as collage, hiphop,
and Pop Art might never have existed.  The irony here couldn't be more
stark. Rooted in
the U.S. Constitution, copyright was originally intended to facilitate
the exchange of ideas but is now being used to stifle it" For more, see
other groups working on these copyright issues:
http://www.illegal-art.org./links/index.html

> There's also a term coined by wordsmith, Paul McFedries ...
"copyrighteous": adj. Relating to a feeling of moral superiority based
on one's responsible copyright views and actions.
http://www.wordspy.com/diversions/neologisms.asp