Re: [BKARTS] Corporate protections ... intellectual property and fair use issues ...

Thanks, Val ... those concerned with the direction of copyright law may find
the links below helpful. With the warning that the "Illegal Art" exhibit may
offend some here (and please others), following are the exhibit sponsors and
organizations working on various issues of  "intellectual property" ...
lifted (with assumed permission) from
http://www.illegal-art.org./links/index.html .

Laurie

EXHIBIT SPONSORS
Stay Free! magazine
An erratically published print magazine focused on American media and
consumer culture.

Internet Archives
The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and
other cultural artifacts in digital form. The nonprofit Archive provides
free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public.

Prelinger Archives
One of the world's largest collections of ephemeral films. Digital copies of
1,000 key movies can be downloaded off the web for free.

Illegal Art
A New Hampshire-based record label (which happens to have the same name as
our exhibit) focused on audio artists who use sampling. Illegal Art helped
us put together a CD compilation that we'll be giving away at the exhibit.

Detritus.net
An online gallery/library "dedicated to recycled culture." Rumori, the
Detritus mailing list, is a great source for up-to-date information on
copyright and the arts.

GOOD GROUPS WORKING ON COPYRIGHT-RELATED ISSUES

DigitalConsumer
A nonprofit, grassroots organization devoted to fighting recent changes in
copyright law (with a focus on technology). This excellent site has lots of
information about how people can take action to stop draconian copyright
laws.

Creative Commons
A nonprofit organization that promotes the innovative reuse of all sorts of
intellectual works. Its first project is a set of copyright licenses to help
creators tell others that their copyrighted works are free for copying under
certain conditions.

Public Knowledge
A public-interest advocacy organization dedicated to fortifying and
defending a vibrant "information commons." This Washington, D.C. based group
speaks in a single voice for a wide spectrum of stakeholders - libraries,
educators, scientists, artists, musicians, journalists, consumers, software
programmers, civic groups and enlightened businesses.

Electronic Frontier Foundation
An organization dedicated to protecting civil liberties as they relate to
technology

Lawrence Lessig
The acclaimed Stanford Law School professor and intellectual property expert

Eldred v. Ashcroft
The official site for the folks fighting the Sonny Bono Act in the Supreme
Court. Mostly for legal types, but the links section has a lot of good
stuff.

Opposing Copyright Extension
Lots of background here on the Sonny Bono Act. By Prof. Dennis Karjala

Chilling Effects
A great site that collects "cease and desist" notices and provides
background on the intellectual property issues involved.