Re: [BKARTS] Page layout

Larry,

I still have OS9 but use PM 6.5.  Every year I make a calendar/scheduler for
myself and family/friends.  I also have layed out texts from Project
Gutenberg on PM with no problems.  You don't have to separate your document
into signature groups.

I lay the entire book out in one PM document (not one for each sig).  The
Document Setup settings should be "Double sided" and "Facing Pages". Enter
the size of your pages (if you want to print on 8.5X11 paper, make the page
size 5.5 wide X 8.5 tall).  Enter the number of pages.  Make sure this is
divisible by 4, 8, or 16.

After laying out your pages (using page masters and all that jazz), go to
the Build Booklet Plug-In.  For these settings, choose "Two-up Perfect
Bound" under layout and right below that choose the number of "Pages per
group" i.e. the number of pages for each signature. (For some reason
choosing saddle stitch does not let you choose the number of pages per sig.)
Even though you have choosen perfect binding, all you end up with is
signature in the correct page order (1 & 16, 2 & 15, etc) which you can
print out and fold and sew.

Now getting them printed out doublesided is a whole other ball of wax.  I
curse my printer many times over and waste much paper each time I try to
remember how to do that!

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions, just ask.

Eric

and then use the Buildbooklet command

on 4/22/03 6:58 PM, Larry Preuss at lpreuss@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like to print some small books on my desktop inkjet, and bind
> them for my family. I am using Macintosh OS 10.2.4 and Adobe
> Pagemaker 6.5. Is there a layout program, or a plug-in, that will
> automatically assort the pages for printing on my folio sheets if I
> tell it whether I choose to use 12-page signatures, or 16-page, or
> whatever?
> Larry

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator