[BKARTS] A Rejoinder to Mr. Morehouse

Oh how dangerous is a little knowledge...  As a "Big Corporate
Lawyer" (I am actually a litigator in a "Big White Shoe Law
Firm"--is that "better" or "worse"?), and as such am fairly well
acquainted with the law.

Firstly, as to Mr. Morehouse's ridiculous comment that protecting
copyright beyond the life of the author is not warranted; I could do
no better than Mr Siegel did in his recent post:

>>At 67, I don't have anything but my copyrights to leave my wife and
children. That's partially the result of the decision to live and work in
remote tropical beach areas that were being developed into resorts such as
Cancun. But mainly it's because I only write what I want to write and I only
publish what I want to publish. I avoid the timely and prefer the enduring.

I'm confident that these works will not only endure but prosper long
after I'm gone. I'd be happy to think that perhaps my grandchildren
might benefit from them, too. I want to see the actual effects of
the new law before deciding that it's wrong to feel that way.<<

If Mr Morehouse does not wish his copyrights to continue after his
death, he may disclaim them now or even in his will.

As for Mr Morehouse's comment concerning my suggestion that those
who do not wish to protect their work can simply not copyright it:
Perhaps I oversimplified.  It is indeed true that copyright attaches
without the requirement of notice or publication (at least since the
1976 Act--and you still need notice to recover money damages for
infringement) when a work is first "fixed in a tangible medium of
expression."  However, that does NOT magically protect the work; a
copyright holder must prosecute violators--there are no Copyright
Police roaming the countryside whacking artists who copy about the
head and shoulders.  Anyone who wishes to have their work freely
copied can simply NOT PROSECUTE anyone who copies.  Or even easier,
they may disclaim any copyright in the work.  My point should not
have been that hard to figure out if one had the most basic
understanding of the law.

As for the assertion that the copyright extensions upheld in
Eldridge are more problematic than the expansion of the patent laws:
perhaps you should read some patent law cases before you make such
bland statements as "I wish you were correct about this..." Try
starting with State Street Bank for one, or perhaps Diamond v.
Chakrabarty, 447 U.S. 303 (1980) (holding that life forms are
patentable).

As for Mr. Morehouse's complete and utter misunderstanding of Mazer
v Stein.  Yes, it was about lamps (actually about statuettes that
were part of the lamps).  However, anyone familiar with our common
law system and the way our courts write opinions  (or indeed anyone
who actually bothered to read the case rather than the head notes)
would realize that the Court was expounding on the nature of
copyright--not the nature of copyright as applied to lamps. As such
it has direct relevance to books, as well as to paintings, photos or
any other copyrightable work.  Really, I feel silly having to
explain that point as it is so completely obvious.

As for Mr. Morehouse's poor memory of Philosophy 101:  The analogy I
provided for why protection against copying was a good thing was not
an example of the Fallacy of the False Alternative.  This Fallacy is
best illustrated by the following example: "Today is Saturday or
Sunday  Today is not Sunday.  Today must be Saturday."   This is
false because it fails to recognize the other five alternatives.
What other alternatives did Mr Morehouse believe I left out?  Taking
the door?  The toilet? The point remains the same. Mr. Morehouse
comes closer to the mark when he calls my argument a Straw Man
Argument.  This occurs when an argument is made that overstates or
exaggerates the other side.  Perhaps there is a valid argument that
my "stealing the roof" analogy is overstated--however, I submit that
it is not, especially if one remembers that many, many artists must
live on the proceeds from the sale of their art.  Proceeds that "put
a roof over their heads" and proceeds that can be diminished or lost
if their art is copied.

Regarding  Mr. Morehouse's suggestion that my explanation of the
distinction between copyright and trademark law "doesn't state the
case properly."  Well, Mr Morehouse, you are dead wrong.  While it
does not state the case fully, as to do so would be the work of
volumes (indeed it is the work of several volumes).   There have
been several insightful posts concerning some of the nuances of
trademark, trade dress and copyright (see, e.g., Mr. Minsky's post).
However, my point was that trademark, etc. protects only indicia
used to sell things or services--indeed it usually only protects
them from competing products or services (That is why you have
Viking Stove and Viking Pest Removal).   The use of a mark on
something that does not compete, for example in a painting, or a
book, generally would not violate tradmark law, especially when used
in a parodic manner (although the more commercial the use, for
example on t-shirts or whatnot, the more likely it may be found as
infringing).  Mr Morehouse is correct, however--this area of the law
is complex if you wish to produce a product that uses a parody of a
mark.  It is best to check with a lawyer.

Which brings me to perhaps my most important point. Many have
bemoaned the fact that little copyright holders are powerless to
defend their marks and only the big bad corporate types can do so.
Nothing could be further from the truth.  The Volunteer Lawyers for
the Arts (to give just one example) is an organization that provides
or places artists with lawyers who will work pro bono on their cases
(not only for infringement, but also for corporate matters or what
have you). In fact, many of the lawyers who do this pro bono work
are the mean ol' "Big Corporate Lawyers."  If you want more
information, the following site lists many of the local VLA
chapters:
http://www.starvingartistslaw.com/help/volunteer%20lawyers.htm

And here is the NY chapter: http://www.vlany.org/

In closing, I would like to say this:  Ideas are never
copyrightable, no matter in what from they are described or
explained. See 17 USC § 102(b).  It is the author's particular
original expression of description or explanation itself that is
protectable.

Regards,

Jeff Loop