Re: [BKARTS] To Chris.

Dear Jeff,

"To use parody or the simulacrum in the service of truth or castration
would be in fact to reconstitute religion, as a Nietzsche cult for
example, in the interest of a priesthood of parody interpreters. No,
somewhere parody always supposes a naivety withdrawing into an
unconscious, a vertiginous non- mastery. Parody supposes a loss of
consciousness, for were it to be absolutely calculated, it would become
a confession or a law table."

I'm not sure if this goes into Latin well and I don't believe Derrida
really had copyright specifically in mind when he made a study of the
genre. What is yet to be addressed meaningfully is how corporate law
distinguishes between "trademark," which "protects only indicia used to
sell things or services" and "Ideas" which "are never copyrightable."
This double standard in how language is perceived is, if not the only
definition, perhaps a good start towards understanding what parody is.
What set of objects, since we seem to be in the mode of metaphysical
bracketing, would you consider to be neither things or services and as
such 'ideas?' Do ideas float about independently of their conveyance?
Parody, if it can be thought of as anything, must be the genre that
collapses the distinction between these donnes of metaphysics: thing and
action, word and sign. That's why I believe any copyright suit brought
against an artist using trademarks in acts of parody is, well,
odiferous.

Best,
Chris.