Re: [BKARTS] Buying paper and books in Manhattan

http://talasonline.net/

It's on Broadway, just south of Houston. The F-train to Broadway-Lafayette
is the closest subway. It's in a building that doesn't look like a store
front. The doorman may or may not have you sign in, but Talas is on the
second or third floor. Ask at the door. Service can be slow and you need to
ask to see things, but if you give your friends a list of what you want they
should be successful. They have very nice tools as well.

Also,
http://www.nycentralart.com/

I think the N/R train to 8th Street/NYU is the closest subway. It's
North-East of the subway stop. Walk toward (and past) the cube sculpture on
Astor place. Make a left on Third Avenue. It's another shop where you have
to ask to see things. They have sample books etc. The bookbinding supplies
and papers are up the stairs.

Kate's Paperie is on Broadway South of Houston. It's easy to find and the
papers are all laid out, but I tend to find it expensive. It is mostly paper
and cards.

If your frinds need help finding them or figuring out what things are they
can contact me. (I once sent a poor friend with a moderate amount of French
to a shop in Paris to buy tools. He found is slightly truamatic). I live a
few blocks from both shops. My e-mail is el49@xxxxxxxx I can give you a
phone number off the list.

-erika