Re: [BKARTS] My last word on the subject (I promise).

YOU GO, JEFFREY!
Bertha Rogers

On 29 Apr 2003 at 20:35, Jeffrey L. Loop wrote:

> I wish to urge anyone with a question regarding copyright law NOT to rely on any statements made by Mr. Morehouse.
 He as a completely and utterly flawed view of the current state of the law (whatever his
views regarding the propriety of those laws may be).
Please, please contact Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts if you can't afford an attorney--
they will try to put you in touch with a lawyer who
will work pro bono (i.e., without charge) to answer you questions.  I would also
encourage you to read Mazer v. Stein, it is one of the most
cited Supreme Court cases in all of copyright law (not just about lamps) and while
written by Justice Reed, you can see the hand of
Felix Frankfurter, one of this country's greatest jurists.  It is available at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/347_US_201.htm.
It will provide some insight into the "Law" (which by the way should not be capitalized)
on copyright.

> I would also like to add that groups like Creative Commons do NOT grant licenses.  You either claim copyright in a work
you have authored or you don't.  There are groups that encourage free sharing by
means of such "licenses" but they are not legal licenses--
they may be a way of disclaiming copyright, but you may do so just as easily do so by
stating so in your work.

> Finally, to Mr. Morehouse:  Perhaps if you had an original creative idea you would not have to keep

raiding the ideas of "certain large media firms" for content. How's that for dancing, you
twit.