Re: [BKARTS] leather-dressing etc.

This is absolutely untrue.  The U.S. government has regulated alcohol
since the Whiskey Rebellion (1794), and the various formulas for denaturing
ethyl alcohol are published (see for instance, _Lange's Handbook of
Chemistry_), and the denaturants are cross-referenced by formula number
printed on the original container.  Formula 3A describes a common denaturant
for ethyl alcohol (5 gallons of methyl alcohol per 100 gallons of 190 proof
ethyl alcohol).

The list of formulas runs on for 5 1/4 pages in my copy of the handbook.

Jack

(snip)
>Commercial denatured alcohol can serve as a good example of undisclosed
>ingredients. (snip) And there is no regulation of its ingredients or
>the disclosure thereof. These extra ingredients are termed
"unknown contaminants."  (snip)

>Regards,
>
>Ed S.

Thompson Conservation Lab.