[BKARTS] class in Portland, Oregon

Hi everyone,

I am teaching a class for Northwest China Council (based in Portland,
Oregon) to make playing cards using the gocco.  The class is aimed at
non-artists, but I think artists can have a lot of fun with it. If
you're interested in learning more about the gocco, this would be a
good introduction.

The class description is below. Also, extra materials will be
available for those wishing to make more screens that they can use at
home using traditional screen printing techniques. I have posted a
picture of some playing cards and gocco examples at
http://www.fingerstothebone.com/currentprojects/currentprojects.html

Class description:

"Empress of Hearts, Emperor of Diamonds"

Card playing is hugely popular pastime in China.  Come and learn how
to make a deck of cards of your own design (with a Chinese flavor)
led by artist Shu-Ju Wang.

Learn how to use a simple silkscreen process to create your own
playing cards from original artwork or copyright-free clipart. Each
participant will be given a deck of cards with the face side already
printed and will then design and print the card backs.

Bring doodles, drawings, or found art, and turn them into a design
for a deck of cards. The instructor will also bring materials that
can be used as inspirations or starting points for original and
unique designs.

Recommended for adults and children 8 years and older. Children under
12 must be accompanied by an adult. Class size limited to 10.

When: Saturday, June 28, 1-5 PM
Where: 127 NW 3rd Avenue at Davis
Cost: China Council members: $25 + $10 material fee, non-members, $35
+ $10 material fee. All materials & equipment are supplied, except
for the artwork for the cards.

To sign up, call the China Council office at (503) 973-5451.

Participants should wear clothes that they don't mind
dirtying/staining. We will be using oil-based, non-toxic inks to
print the cards.
--
Shu-Ju Wang    http://www.fingerstothebone.com    Overhauled March/2003
               Paintings, Drawings, Prints, Artist's Books & Custom Design