Re: [BKARTS] Cook n' Stir Replacement ??

In a message dated 5/29/03 10:19:22 AM, peachey@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I noticed a new machine in a bloomingdale's advertisement called the

Stirchef.  It appears to be a small motor that clamps on the inside of a

kitchen pot, and the text says it can be set to stir continuously or

occasionally.  No heating element, so you would have to use it on top of a

stove or something.  I haven't tried it yet, but will get one soon.

Stirchef, item # 3106-684,  $29.99

Bloomingdales  1-800-555-shop >>

Jeff,
Many years ago I wondered if there was such a product for making paste.
Since the Cook-n-Stir is no longer available for US electric, I have been
testing a unit that I have built. One thing that I learned during the design
phase is that a standard electric motor cannot "take the heat" (they are only
intended for an additional 40 C, or up to about 175 degrees F in operation).
Therefore, I have mounted the motor off to the side, and stir from a cantilevered
arm. The unit does not have a heat source, but is intended to be used with any
hot-plate or stove. Thus far everything is looking very good, except for the
cost.
Hearing that the Stirchef is only $29.95, it is certainly a hard price to
beat. However, I wonder if it can stand the rigors of our use.
Regarding the Cook-n-Stir:  I found that a few could only reach 185 degrees F
and that is certainly not the recommended temperature for making paste. As to
durability, our unit was only good for a short time -- the plastic gear
failed after being used 1-2 times per week for about 3-4 years.

Bill Minter
Woodbury, PA
814-793-4020
fax 814-793-4045