[BKARTS] Finding unwanted books

In a message dated 5/29/03 12:09:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Date:    Wed, 28 May 2003 17:11:21 -0500
> From:    Amanda Love <lovea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: looking for the graveyard of unwanted books
>
> help from the near chicagoland area
>
> i'm working on a new sculpture - book installation made of unwanted
> novels or really any book with text... i am exhibiting the piece in a
> gallery off  superior and franklin this july-august. it's also a huge
> piece 11 feet by 17 feet... so i need LOTS of books.

Amanda,

You may want to keep an eye out for school/church fairs and library friends
groups having used book sales.  As anyone who has run these can tell you, at
the end of the day, there are always a whole bunch of books that didn't sell.
At that point, the choice is "Do we trash them or do they go back into the
garage of the poor volunteer who organized the sale?"  You can probably find a
number of sales where people will be delighted to have you haul away the unsold
books.

Sally