Re: [BKARTS] guillotine cutters

Sorry, but I must weigh in on this business of older guillontines. They are
simple, yes, but they can also be extremely dangerous. Some have a lever arm
that works with a counter weight, and those weights have been known to
simply fall off one day, allowing the blade suddenly and unexpectedly fall.
I use an older Challenge table top model, and it has had some extra safety
devices added on over the years. Not perfect, but better than nothing. The
device works well enough when the blade is sharp, but I won't allow anyone
else to use it until thoroughly trained, and then I still watch and worry.
If I had the $$ I'd get a newer model in a heartbeat, one that is idiot
proof!

Katie Harper

on 6/3/03 3:57 PM, Edward Stansell at CraftBook@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I would agree about the mechanical history. It is best to examine them first
> hand. BUT, here, I speak of power cutters. The old time manually operated
> paper cutters have very little in the way of mechanism to go wrong or even
> wear
> out.  In their operation, they are as simple as a board shear. They have a
> back
> guage that operates with a wheel an a worm gear. Their clamps are either foot
> powered or have a wheel that lowers the clamp when you give it a spin. The
> knife is brought down with a long cast iron handle which is attached to a
> counter-weight to bring it back up after the cut is made. You can't get much
> simpler
> than that. Ocassionally, someone has abused them. The common problem then is
> that the adjustment screws in the knife bar are lost or broken off.   Of
> course
> no one should buy a pig in a poke. Give a look, kick the tires. If nothing
> falls off it's probably O.K.
>
> Ed S.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press