Re: [BKARTS] Other book arts communities?

Since this reply didn't seem to go through, I'm resending. If it did make,
excuse the duplication.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would suggest getting some good books. While there is a good bit of sound
how-to information on the web, the best is still in print form only,
especially  traditional binding. My favorite is "Books, Boxes, and
Portfolios" by Zeier. Amazon (and others) carry it. I have a pretty
comprehensive bibliography online at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/bibliography-bookbinding.htm> in which I've
included abstracts of the contents, as well as some judgmental comments as
to target audience. Many are "historic" in nature, but many are not. Take a
look.

If you want to do bookbinding as a career, I would suggest looking at the
North Bennet Street School in Boston, or at some of the MFA programs such
as Iowa and Alabama. There are also others. Check out
<http://www.philobiblon.com/programs.htm>. Classes at a community college
can help determine if this is something you're interested in, tell you
something about your aptitude, and you'll learn something. Classes depend
on the instructor. You many also want to look into private instruction. The
Guild of Book Workers has a "Study Opportunities List" at
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/studyopp.shtml>. They're a
"professional" organization which organizes exhibitions, an annual
conference, and publishes a very useful Journal and bi-monthly Newsletter.
Check them out. The "Study Opportunities List" is very helpful. They also
have a members-only listserv.

Where are you located?

p.

The reason I ask is I feel a little out of my depth, I want to pursue
bookbinding as a possible career but at this stage I'm still working on my
basic skills, I've been warned away from the community college course in my
area  by a proffesional binder whose work I respect.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>